It was in October of 1919 that Mr. and Mrs. Sid Lockyer purchased the greenhouses of Mr. Earl Spencer on the Bloomfield Road, one mile west of Picton. The business at that time was the growing of vegetables. However, they soon branched out into flowers. Mrs. Lockyer had a special talent for design work and wedding flowers. Shipping wholesale to towns and cities was an added service.
In the spring, the greenhouses and hot beds were filled with tomato plants grown for the farmers and numerous canning factories in the area. Over 30 people were employed in the transplanting and care of the 2.5 million plants grown. In 1934, after acquiring the family farm, the vegetable business came into its own so that in the 1940s produce was supplied to the two local military bases at Picton Heights and Mountain View.
The family carried on after the death of Sid Lockyer in 1948. In 1970, the greenhouses had to be torn down to allow for the widening of Highway 33. At this point Creighton, the eldest son of the family, and the grower, built new greenhouses on Sandy Hook Road and called it the Lockyer Garden Centre. At the same time, the other two children, Chris and Ruby, purchased the property at the corner of Main and Chapel Streets in Picton where they opened the Lockyer Flower Shoppe. Chris retired in 1978, but Ruby continued the business until 2005.
At the time of Creighton’s death in 1986, Greg Moore, who trained at his grandfather’s side since he was a young boy, followed in his footsteps and continues the Lockyer County Gardens to this day.
The family is proud to have served the community and surrounding region now for 96 years!
Seasonal Plants • Hanging Baskets • Perennials • Trees & Shrubs • Vegetables • Bulbs & Seeds • Exotic Tropical Flowering Plants • Decorative Containers • Gardens Accents • Concrete Statuaries & Bird Baths • Christmas Trees & Greenery • Custom Orders • Soils • Gift Certificates